To manage and direct all aspects of Payroll administration including all month end and year end journal entries, accruals, reconciliations and reporting. In addition, this individual provides direct supervision and performance management to a staff of 2. This includes, but is not limited to: managing each processing function, developing, implementing and maintaining policies and procedures, assigning daily responsibilities/re-establishing priorities, problem resolution, streamlining manual processes, and special projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and directs the activities of the Payroll bookkeepers. Oversees workflow, handles staffing issues, prepares performance reviews, plans resources etc.
- Holds monthly staff meetings to discuss the status of activities, provides coaching and 1 on 1 guidance
- Oversees all field employee payrolls. Audits and approves each payroll run per company policies and procedures
- Possesses an in-depth understanding of how pay is calculated including non-legislated payroll deductions and special earnings. Responsible for the maintenance of all admin employee files. Coordinates payroll processing schedules to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Prepares and submits required payrolls for all admin employees
- Ensures all payroll journal entries are prepared, reviewed and approved within the specified timelines.
- Prepares monthly payroll accruals and ensures deadlines for completion are adhered to.
- Assist in the analysis and reasonability of payroll related expenses for month end close purposes.
- Ensures that all employees are paid in accordance with Company policies, Employment Standards legislation and all SOX audit requirements are adhered to.
- Prepares all year-end reconciliations and ensures reporting requirements are completed accurately and within the specified time lines.
- Displays a strong understanding of Payroll & HR functionality. Suggests system enhancements that will ultimately help streamline the payroll process. Troubleshoots issues and implement changes when necessary.
- Works closely with HR to support policy changes, benefits administration and reviews.
- Identifies areas that will benefit from process improvements and works closely with senior management to implement streamlined and efficient solutions.
- Responds to all employee payroll inquiries and adhering to the department customer service level agreement.
- Plays a lead role on special projects that impact Payroll and participates on other Shared Services Projects as required.
- CPA certification (PCP or CPM) or equivalent work experience, which includes:
- 5-7 years’ experience processing & managing Payroll across multi provincial jurisdictions
- Post-seconda ry education in related field
- Previous benefits administration an asset
- Strong ERP systems knowledge required
- Prior experience supervising, proven leadership ability
- Knowledge of basic fundamental accounting concepts
- Strong systems knowledge, ADP Pay Specialist, Oracle a plus
- Prior experience streamlining and automating manual processes
- ·Strong and accurate record keeping skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Word and Excel
- Skilled at interacting effectively in a fast paced, team oriented environment
- Displays sound business judgment.
- · Works in a comfortable office environment.
- · Concentration and focus required for prolonged periods of time using computers.
- · May be required to work additional hours during month-end, quarter-end, and year-end.
- · High volume working in tight deadlines
- Required to sit for extended periods of time while working with a computer.
- Works in cooperation with all levels across the organization
- May be in contact with government agencies (CRA, WCB, Revenue Quebec etc.)