Manager, Financial Reporting
Manager, Financial Reporting
Reporting to the Controller, the Reporting Manager will be responsible for supporting the reporting team in producing quality financial reports and commentary and will coordinate all monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and related reporting. The Reporting Manager will build relationships with team members and stakeholders throughout the company and have the ability to communicate in a simplified and understandable manner. The Reporting Manager will identify and implement continuous financial process improvements to create efficiencies and improve the timeliness of reporting and data integrity, while continuing to develop best practices in policies, processes, controls and documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Ensure adequate planning for the successful delivery of quality data and oversee adjustments as required
- Provide value-added financial analysis and clear, concise commentary on results for a wider audience
- Review journal entries and account reconciliations and present issues and proposed resolution to Controller
- Analyze, interpret, and communicate cost and expense variances
- Review and analyze financial information and results, including ad-hoc analysis
- Coordinate and prepare regular financial reporting packages with analysis
- Track business results and cash flow
- Assist with preparation of financial plans and budgets
- Analyze accounting issues and financial results including documenting supporting memos and accounting policies
- Manage communication with ERP team on all reporting related ERP issues, weekly calls, delivery timelines etc.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the reporting team
- Oversee workflow, handle staffing issues, prepare performance reviews, plans resources, etc.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to other team members
- Take a leadership role to collaborate with Finance teams and other stakeholders
- Establish relationships and communicate effectively with people in a variety of departments, including management
- Engage with staff regularly to discuss the status of activities
- Provide one on one coaching and guidance
Process and System Improvement
- Use judgment in dealing with issues, demonstrating an ability to effectively prioritize work and determine solutions
- Research and recommend accounting and reporting policies, procedures, and internal controls over financial reporting
- Support the Controller to manage and optimize the financial reporting close process
- Respond to Reporting questions, concerns and inquiries and provides ad hoc support as needed to the Controller
- Participate and occasionally lead special projects that impact the Finance department
Audit, Controls, Taxation
- Coordinate and liaison in the areas of regulatory compliance
- Internal and external audit requests
- Compliance with reporting of SOX, IFRS disclosure, and regulatory reporting
- Commodity tax audits
- CPA (CA/CMA/CGA) designation required; coupled with a four-year degree in Business, Finance or Accounting
- 5+ years of related experience in accounting and reporting, preferably at a public company or subsidiary
- Strong analytical, problem solving, decision-making abilities, and sound business judgement
- Prior experience managing people and proven leadership ability
- Strong knowledge of GAAP/IFRS required
- Strong systems knowledge, Oracle a strong plus; Strong knowledge of Word and Excel
- Prior experience streamlining and automating manual processes a plus
- Strong and accurate record keeping skills; detail oriented
- Proven ability to develop control policies to ensure compliance
- Experience in supporting reconciliations and audits
- Ability to review data for reasonability and identify root causes and drivers of the results
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to work and excel in a team environment
- Works in a comfortable office environment.
- Concentration and focus required for prolonged periods of time using computers.
- May be required to work additional hours during month-end, quarter-end, and year-end.
- Required to sit for extended periods of time while working with a computer.
- Works in cooperation with all levels across the organization, including teams in the US.
- Manages a team of approximately 3 employees